Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Bookish Bliss

The Missions and Stewardship Committee puts on a HUGE book sale every year. A group of us have been spending many back-breaking hours sorting books, moving boxes of books, and being overwhelmed by the sheer volume of BOOKS. The great thing is that you earn books by helping. I do so love me them books. So far I have picked up the following:
The Hebrew Prophets by Newsome
The Minor Prophets by Boice
God of the Oppressed by Cone
The First Theologians by Gillespie
The Epic of Gilgamesh
a tourist book of Gotha, Germany (where I once spent many hours pouring over Greek and Hebrew texts with the great Jim Edwards)
The Steps of Bonhoeffer (a photo biography of my husband Dieter)
a commentary on Zechariah-Malachi by Petersen
a commentary on Ezra-Nehemiah by Blenkinsopp
A History of Prophecy in Israel by Blenkinsopp
Syrische Grammatik (so I can learn Syriac after I learn German)
Chrestomathia Aethiopica (various ancient church writings in Ethiopic with a Latin glossary)

There's a lot of great stuff, so if you are in Princeton you should come by. Better yet, come help us sort the rest of this week, and move boxes to the gym on Saturday. It's a great workout!

3 comments:

Jenevieve said...

...um... riveting...


(from the girl who actually uttered the following words this week: "I just really hope they tell me which text they're using for histopathology so I can start reading it in the next few weeks!")

Mariquita said...

you nerds! i'm totally above this whole book thing. who needs to read? ever? and who on earth would choose a career in which she hopes to inspire a passion for literature and learning to high school students. scoff.

Jenevieve said...

mary, you crack me up.