Monday, February 04, 2008

Reading

The past week I've done little besides reading (and going to class and work and eating and sleeping). For perhaps the first time in my seminary career I completed all my reading for last week, and for definitely the first time in my academic career I'm already finished with all of this weeks. And it was no small feat either. I think the PhD seminar with it's multiple complete books to read each week and only 5 students has me running scared. That, and my room is clean, which I never had time to accomplish last semester, so it's actually pleasant to sit in my chair and do my reading.
My three primary classes are converging in interesting ways. I'm reading Bonhoeffer and Augustine and Aquinas and just war theorists and pacifists of various stripes and a whole lot of historiography, and they all speak to each other in interesting ways. All told, it looks like it will be a good semester academically.
I've also been reading Jerry Sittser's new book, Water from a Deep Well: Christian Spirituality from Early Martyrs to Modern Missionaries, and am enjoying it very much. I'm only a chapter or two in, so I'll say more on that when I've read more.

No comments: