One of the arguments Luther made in his 95 Theses against papal indulgences was that if the Pope had the authority to free souls from Purgatory, why didn't he just do it as a free gift of grace instead of demanding that people buy indulges to spring their relatives.
So on facebook there are all these groups with names like "Join and I'll donate to cancer" or "for every person that joins I'll give $1 to . . ." People join the groups and then feel good that they have had a part in a charity, and have raised awareness of a cause by having the group listed on their facebook profile. That's fine, but the question I have is if these people can afford to donate based on people joining their facebook group, why aren't they just donating regardless of how many people lend their cyber-support?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment