Monday, February 18, 2008

The Vagina Monologues

I'm running lights for the Seminary's production of The Vagina Monologues this weekend. Has anyone ever seen a performance of the show? I am very ambivalent, and would love to hear some thoughts on the content and purpose, especially taking into account that it is being performed in a Christian community. I'll probably post some thoughts after the production. I have many, but I will see the show three more times by the end of the week, so I won't commit myself to anything yet.
Here's an article. There are also a few of the monologues up on YouTube. I haven't watched those versions, but they probably give a decent idea. I know "moans" is on there, and that one is a part of the Seminary's production. The original 3 monologues are available on google books.

1 comment:

Virgie said...

I've only seen a DVD version--not a live performance--but I thought the monologues were very good, thought provoking, and fun. I have no idea how accessible they would be to men. It seems the answer might be "not very."

I don't remember there being anything controversial about the monologues on the DVD ... But then again, I've never been able to think of the "c" word as a profanity, so maybe I'm not the best judge ...