Thursday, December 06, 2007

on the utility of an M.Div.

I guess there are a lot of jobs available for people with an M.Div. Cut them in half when you remove youth ministry from the picture, and then probably half that if you take out things that require you to be ordained (which I won't be for at least a few years). Also remove children's ministry, contemporary worship leader, and positions requiring experience. Factor in the statistical fact that it is more difficult for single women in their twenties to get jobs in ministry than any other demographic (I think they think there's something wrong with us, or we can't make long-term commitments or something), and the reality that I need a job that will pay enough for me to start making loan payments and most likely buy a car. That leaves me with, um . . . catering. Or maybe temp work as a receptionist.
That might be a little fatalistic, but it's also more or less true. Lucky for me, I have "administrative assistant" and "catering manager" on my resume. I'm just too damn marketable for my own good. It's a good thing I have that Biblical Languages minor, because that will really bump me up to the next salary bracket.
Unless anyone wants to support my mission work as a Spiritual Formation Coordinator at a Christian college in Lithuania (no, seriously).

1 comment:

Jenevieve said...

I'd support you. I can give you at least 150 bucks.

:)