I'm torn between the desire for recognition and the desire to learn humility, and also the knowledge that in my trying not to want recognition I show false-humily and a bit of a martyr complex.
This week I've ended up being in charge of planning a lot of events of varying sizes for a student group I'm in. Some of it just went with my job description and wasn't a big deal. But the biggest event got basically dropped by the person who was supposed to be in charge of it, and I've spent the past 5 days with my life on hold trying to get everything ready for this event that takes place tomorrow night (well, tonight now since it's now Friday). And the others who dropped the event are still the people getting all the recognition for what a great thing this is and how much work they've put in and blah, blah, blah.
I really don't mind doing all this work that much. It's stuff I'm pretty good at -- the last-minute details and pulling everything together and making endless lists. But I do mind that others were supposed to be doing it, and I have yet to be asked for help or thanked for taking on this task. In fact, I've been criticized by them for the way I've chosen to do some things. So maybe it's not that I want recognition so much as I don't want others to be praised for a job they dumped on me at the last minute.
I should just be happy to help, right? It's for a good cause, and a job well done is its own reward. It doesn't matter whether others know that I made it happen in the end, and it shouldn't matter to me that others will think someone else did this great thing, but it does. So I'm fallen, and proud, and jealous, and whatever else. But I'm honest, too.
I've done everything I could to make this thing happen. And I don't want to hear it at the event when the others, who have very strong opinions about how everything should be run, criticize the set-up or the font size, or the mic placement or the fact that we have hot chocolate instead of coffee. I'm tired, I'm working catering in less than 7 hours, and I haven't read the book or write the response paper I was supposed to have done tomorrow (I mean today).
the end
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment