Saturday, March 03, 2007

Whining (like Jeni, only not pregnant, and therefore with less of an excuse)

Surgery
My surgery for my butt cyst will be this Friday at 7:30am. It will be under local anesthesia and will only take about an hour. Then I'll spend about 10 days staying off my butt (aka laying on my stomache and standing). The logistics of this is a little mind-boggling, but that next week is reading week, so I'll just be doing my reading in bed.
Field Ed
Have I whined enough about the field ed office yet? No, because I haven't told the promised 'why they're having me interview with Ghana' story.
The short version is, and this is as direct of a quote as I can remember from Chester, my field ed "advisor": 'it's like we have a barrel of students (i.e. 14 students), and we pull them out and try to place them in the best site for each of them. Then you were left for Ghana.' Yes, he actually told me that.
And it gets worse.
Yesterday I had a phone interview scheduled for 8am my time with Bishop Speaks AME Zion church in Accra. I arrived a little early at the field ed office to find it locked and nobody there. At 8:18, Harry, the other field ed "advisor" arrives for work and I tell him that I was supposed to be on the phone with Ghana at 8. So he goes into the office, hunts down the phone number, and calls the church. Then he says to the pastor (again, almost direct quote): "Rev. Dogbe, I have a student here who wants to talk to you about summer field ed. Here she is." And hands me the phone! No introduction, no explanation for calling almost 1/2 hour late, no apology. So I got a 25 minute interview (they're expected to be about 1 hour), then when I came out of the office in which I was interviewing the office assistant (who I usually consider the only semi-reliable person in that ridiculous office) said 'sorry I was running a little late' then proceeded to explain that she hasn't been able to get in touch with the other church I am supposed to interview with. I'm considering writing a formal letter of complaint to the Dean of Student Life about how this office is screwing me over. Unfortunately, I can't remember the appropriate non-colloguial term for 'screw me over.' I'm not sure I want to travel to Africa under the auspices of an office that can't even remember to show up when they've scheduled an international interview. At least I know how to get myself around in and out of Ghana when they fly me to the wrong airport then forget that I exist and think that I dropped out of school and therefore cancel my loans and I don't graduate. That's a little melodramatic, but with all the s#%@ that office has already put me through while I'm only living 200ft away, I can't imagine what it'll be like when I am out of the country.
Seriously folks, it should not be too much to ask to have an ounce of tact and reliability.

6 comments:

Jenevieve said...

See, it seems a lot to me like you have about 1 billion good reasons for whining. Sheesh. I hope your butt cyst (yes! I heart you for having an undeniably gross malady!) surgery goes well, and that somebody either blows up the field ed office or they miraculously pull their act together.

Anonymous said...

I am enraged for you! How do these people not get fired. grrrr.

Bianca said...

!!! Wow.

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to figure out a poetic way to say "I hope your rear is okay". That's all I have... but I really mean it!

Becky

Mariquita said...

(letter in the form of calling a student's parents)

Dear Office,
I am a little concerned that your employee did not arrive for detention... er... for an international interview for my possible summer in ghana. i hope he/she is not feeling ill. if i need to put together a homework packet, please let me know.
sincerely,
miss miranda

Jenevieve said...

Have fun with your butt tomorrow! I'll be praying for you!