Tuesday, February 24, 2009

A Series of Unfortunate Events

The hour between picking N up from preschool and getting the kids down for nap tends to be the most stressful of the day. Today it was so bad it was comical.
A few minutes after N gets in bed, I hear a crash. I go upstairs to discover that he has knocked over his tall halogen lamp. I smell burning, but there is no sign of danger, so I open the window, take the lamp out of the room, and tell N that he has to stay in his bed for nap today (usually he's allowed to just be in his room playing quietly).
I go downstairs and start refilling the tanks on the humidifiers, when I hear N out of his room and something like glass clinking. I go upstairs and he has brought the bulb and the glass cover to the lamp into the hallway. He then shows me where the carpet is singed which explains the smell. Apparently we came very close to having a fire. Oh, and B was crying the whole time not wanting to nap.
I go back downstairs, where I have left the water running in the humidifier tank, which has now flooded the counter top and is dripping copiously onto the floor. I mopped that up with just about every towel in the place. Then I ate an ice cream sandwich and read a chapter of Wuthering Heights, and let N's nap go a little longer than usual.

2 comments:

Alisa said...

So I guess the only way that could have been worse is if a fire started while the downstairs got water damaged... funny how ice cream is a good cure all (I tend to indulge in Ovaltine at times like that)

Anonymous said...

wow...