Tuesday, February 17, 2009
Can't Dress for Texas
Baylor is flying me out for an interview. Yay! But here's the thing: how in the world do I dress for this? So it's an interview, which means professional, but for a PhD program which might mean a little less than a job interview, maybe. It's in Texas, but a college town in Texas, with a department head from North Jersey. And I'm female and not old. So I need to look like a young, professional, intelligent, feminine, scholar . . . in Texas. I bought a skirt suit (black A-line skirt just below the knee and matching jacket with one button) and about 5 tops to choose what to wear with it, and shoes (black mary jane heels), and some makeup. Luckily my hair is really long right now, so I don't have to worry about what to do with it. In the midst of it all I need to keep reminding myself that while the overall impression I make is important, I am interviewing for a faculty of all men and they just don't notice/judge clothes the same way women do. Somebody hit me with a reality stick already so I can focus on the aspects of preparing for this that will actually make or break my chances at getting in to this program. And while you're getting out that reality stick, consider whether I should wear a collared shirt.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
My new friend from Texas says the skirt-suit is a winner. She also said shirt collar shouldn't matter, as long as both options are blouses (don't blouses always have collars?). In terms of the interview content, bonus points if you can work in the phrase "I could explain it better, but I'd need charts and graphs and an easel".
You're not being silly worrying over your appearance. Images matter. Or at least, they better, because I took a whole class on how and why they matter last quarter.
Also, while women are, in general, the harshest critics of other women, that doesn't mean that men don't notice.
I don't say this to freak you out and urge you to go to Nordstrom's and hire a professional shopper to put together your professional image, but just to remind you that images are important and it's not foolish/silly/needless to think about them.
Trust in your own good sense, Mo. You are a brilliant women in every way possible and if you put your keen mind to presenting a professional image I have no doubt that you will look good.
Lastly, remember that people think what you tell them to. The important thing isn't to wear a Prada power suit. The important thing is to wear something that makes you feel professional and smexy so that you project a professional, smexy vibe.
Even though I'm sure you won't need it I wish you good luck (all I have that I can spare anyway, which really isn't that generous an offer but it's the best I can do).
Yay interview! I say yes on the collar. I love you!
collar / no collar isn't super important. but nylons are. and pull your hair back.
and you'll do great. because you're you! :D
Post a Comment