Sunday, October 01, 2006

What they might not teach me in seminary . . .

There is a class here at PTS called Word and Act. I'm not in it, but I understand they teach how to do the practical stuff, like how to raise your arms for a benediction and how to not light your stole on fire during communion. What they might not cover is what to do if one has a runny nose on a communion Sunday.
Such was the case with me today. So lest I give anyone my cold by touching their bread, or the worse possibilities of holding the cup within dangerous proximity of the drip zone (and yes, I have heard stories of the drip actually happening), I opted out of serving communion this morning. Plus "the blood of Christ, *nasty sniffle* shed for you" doesn't have quite the same ring to it. Of course theologically my sniffles won't impact the efficacy of the host, but let's be honest, it's just gross - as is the pile of kleenex beside my bed, and the amount of tea I've consumed in the past 3 days (which, as Claire reminds me, doesn't have real magical powers to prevent colds).

3 comments:

Jenevieve said...

You gave me your head cold. Punk.

I'm glad you didn't serve communion with a drippy nose. I think it would have made your congregation uncomfortable.

I'm thinking about how to wipe my nose mid-dissection. I don't want to get formalin or dog drippings on my face, but I also don't think my diss lab partners would appreciate my rhinovirus pouring (well past the dripping stage) into our dog's abdominal cavity.

Any suggestions?

Mariquita said...

first of all, eww.

second of all, that's why you need really really strong communion wine to kill all the germs. :)

hope you feel better soon!

Anonymous said...

Feel better soon, Miranda! BTW, tea does have magical powers...as long as it is made by Roger Mohrlang. Best tea ever!