Friday, April 14, 2006

It may not be the Rockies . . .


. . . but the Delaware Water Gap recreation area provides a pretty decent hike. A few of us hit the trail today, Good Friday, since we didn't have class and it was a great way to avoid studying, get away from campus and into nature, and to get to know some people better. It drizzled rain most of the day, which kept us cool and, well, wet. But it was warm enough to still be pleasant, and it cleared up long enough for us to eat lunch by the pond that was the telos of the trail.
This also expands my definition of hiking, which has been strongly influenced by growing up near the Colorado Rockies. To me, hiking is steep, high altitudes, occasionally treacherous, and climaxes with an amazing view of the city or the canyon or the rest of the mountain range. Here hiking 7ish miles was no problem with pretty slow inclines, hardly any elevation (anything below 5000 might as well not be elevated), really no danger at all, and a final view of the still waters of the pond. I like it, although I wouldn't trade my mountains for the Pennsylvania hills.
Many people emerge from hiking with a heightened awareness of God's goodness and creativity in creation. I admit that this is not often my reaction. I see God much more in the people with whom I am enjoying creation, and today I rejoice in having glimpsed Christ in each of my companions on the trail.

No comments: