This evening I saw the seminary's production of The Vagina Monologues by Eve Ensler. Some of the monologues are heart-wrenching portrayals of abuse that bring to light serious issues that the church, and humanity in general, needs to learn to address, at both the systemic and the victim level. Others were offensive, not so much by their language or even their content (although that would be very offensive to many people, especially Christians). No, what bothers me is the celebration and advocacy of trading the natural and divinely-created purposeof the vagina for the unnatural.
In Christian Theology I read parts of a book entitled The Seven Deadly Sins Today, written by a non-Christian. One thing he wrote about lust came to mind during a few of the monologues that celebrate women's sexual 'liberation.': "As they have made deserts of themselves, so they make deserts of their beds. This is the sin of Lust. Just as it dries up human beings, so it dries up human relationships." Another point, especially relevant for me as I consider celibacy as a vocation, but for all other single people as well, is that "Theres is no evidence that sex is a categorical imperative like food and oxygen; and there is no evidence that voluntary abstention from it leads to neurosis or emotional disturbance." I have the article if you want to read it (and Matt should too, since he's in Theology now).
Yes, women need to be liberated from feeling shame about what is created and given to us by God and to celebrate, along with our brothers, that we are formed in the imago dei. But there is a difference between understanding and appreciating our bodies, versus using them in a way that spits in the face of our Creator. When it comes down to it, our bodies are not ours to use and abuse in any way we please and culture deems legal (1 Cor. 6:19).
I should say that I am glad I saw the show, and that the seminary is performing it. Whether I agree with the perspectives or not, they are perspectives and lifestyles that many people choose, and I need to be aware of that reality as I prepare for ministry in a post-modern world.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Well written, friend. I know that I struggle to understand what it means to be "free" as a daughter of God without being given over to my sinful nature.
Hey Miranda! I've been thinking of writing a post on them as well...it may be a few days...
Blessings!
Post a Comment