When did it become trite to say 'I'm focusing on my relationship with God right now'? It seems like people assume that's an excuse for singleness, and that given the opportunity most people would quickly trade in their single status. There was an article to that effect in the Whitworthian last year and I wrote a rather sarcastic editorial in response.
This evening at the Well (worship service on campus) I was thinking how glad I was to be there worshiping with my whole heart, participating in a liturgy of love, reflecting on God's love for us in Christ, and allowing myself to ruminate on the goodness of agape love. For some people, especially my age, Valentine's Day can be one of the hardest of the year. Maybe I just don't know what I'm missing, having never had a "valentine," but I find my heart rejoicing this evening that I am able to be single-minded in my devotion. That's not to say that people who are in relationships can't use this day to rejoice in the love of God, but it is different.
Tonight I am content to be loved by Christ, my savior, and blessed to know that if I spend all the Valentine's Days of my life in no company except his, it will be more than sufficient for me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Well said, Miranda. It is never trite to say that you are focusing on your relationship with God...in my opinion, we must always "work on our relationship with God", whether we are single or married. I just hope that no one would try to use the phrase "I'm working on my relationship with God right now" as justification for anti-socialism, or some other form of unhealthy behavior.
Post a Comment