Thursday, February 09, 2006

Brought to you by the letter "W"

"W" is for Withdraw. As in the letter I will receive on my transcript for OT 510, Accelerated Hebrew Reading. I made this decision after about 1/2 hour of deliberation as a result of realizing that if I am going to do a PhD in Old Testament, I need to love Hebrew, which is difficult when it is the source of most of my stress, sleeplessness, lack of social life, and not doing as well as I want to in any of my other classes. It was like a part time job (3 hours of class, with an average 4 hours of prep for each class period). I don't want language to be a burden. I enjoy learning and using it, but not slaving away for endless hours without going into any exegetical depth. So I'll only have 12 credits this semester, and more time to devote to getting my spiritual disciplines back in order.
"W" is for William, as in William P. Robinson, president of Whitworth College. I just saw him outside the chapel. I didn't even know he was in town. So we hugged and chatted and then he ran off to go teach a course. Too bad he's not treating all the alumni/ae to drinks again this semester.
"W" is for Washington, DC, the current location of our favorite Jeni. We got up at the butt crack of dawn to walk to the train station, and her text messages inform me that she is on the train safely, with detailed maps and public transit instructions in hand. She's going to a meet-and-greet and info. thingy for University of Edinburgh, and then coming back to me this evening.
"W" is for wow, it's almost time for my field ed. meeting. Later gators.

No comments: