Thursday, May 04, 2006

The Grand Final(e)

Tomorrow afternoon I will take my last exam. My only exam. And my first real in-class test at seminary. I had one short mid-term last semester, and a take-home, but that's it. I've been writing papers. So tomorrow I will do what the rest of the first years have been doing all week: enter Stuart 6, take 2 blue books, and emerge three hours later with a cramped wrist and a depleted brain. Kudos to all the juniors for whom this is their fourth or fifth exam! I remembered over the last few days the sick pleasure I get from writing study guides and formatting them to my perfectly type A specifications. I also got a healthy dose of humility while studying with friends. Being put in a position/putting myself in the position of teacher when I don't know as much as I think I do is always humbling. I guess that's the paradox of my degree, the Masters of Divinity. Trying to master the unmasterable will always leave me realizes how infinitely beyond me God is, and how elusive some foundational doctrines can be. May my mind be used for the glory of God, rather than the pride of having others see me as knowledgable!

2 comments:

Mariquita said...

Good luck! Get good sleep and eat healthy things. Will you play Bible Trivia with me when you come home - I mean, come to Spokane? It, unfortunately, has very little to do with the glory of God and much to do with pride in knowledge, but it's pretty fun anyway.

Jenevieve said...

Ooh! Ooh! I pick Miranda for *my* team on bible trivia night!