Thursday, March 04, 2010

Summer

One downside of living on a student schedule (Sept-May) is that by around this time of year you have to start figuring out what to do with the summer. I had a reprieve from that last year, staying in one place for more than 9 months for the first time since 2001, but now I'm back to business as usual.
Summer has never been awesome for me. I've had some amazing opportunities for work and travel, but mostly I've spent the summer in varying degrees of loneliness and frustration waiting for the school year to start up again. The summer of 2010 is starting to take shape, and I plan to take the best of the past (work and travel) and diminish the loneliness. How, you may ask, can I do that? By being semi-nomadic of course!
My plan, which is extremely tentative and so dependent upon the whims and decisions of others that I'm probably jinxing it with this post, is as follows:
June: End nannying (Memorial Day?), a week in Washington visiting friends and their new babies in Seattle and Spokane, a few days in Waco finding an apartment, and perhaps some time in Indiana with friends. The house here in Kinnelon will be base camp in between these excursions.
July: Teach English in Lithuania. This is the one that is really up in the air. I had a good phone interview this morning, and the woman who runs the Summer Language Institute thinks they might have a place for me. I also accept that I am in no way qualified to teach English as a Foreign Language, so there is a good chance it won't work out.
August: Move to Texas via Colorado. I don't know how I or my stuff is getting there, but by mid-August I should be settling in to my first apartment. I plan to live alone and it will be glorious.
It's got travel, it's got about a dozen great people who I don't get to see often, it's got work (unpaid though it will be). Sounds like the perfect plan, and it sounds ripe for something to fall through. In which case I may be showing up at your door asking to crash on your couch.

1 comment:

Jenevieve said...

You can always crash on our couch! Of course, I don't know where our couch will be this summer, but feel free to hunt us down wherever you are!