The Cyrillic alphabet is basically the Greek alphabet with a few extra letters! I think I probably already knew that, but my "Beginner's Russian Script" book just confirmed it. And, there are no articles, and from that one bit of info I've decided to tell myself that the grammar with be a combo of Latin and Greek. The outlook for my PhD language requirements just got brighter.
I also have only one chapter left in my German grammar (that I should have been able to go through in half the time it took me), then I get to start translating short stories and other fun stuff.
On a different but related note, Vaclav Havel is brilliant and I can't believe I hadn't read any of his work until now. (He was a playwright and philosopher active in the protest group Charter 77, then became the first president of Czechoslovakia after the Velvet Revolution.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
The things you nerds get excited about. Sheesh.
AWESOME. I tried to learn the Cyrillic alphabet many years ago. It was fun, but I found it very difficult to learn the cursive script. I have trouble writing in cursive in English ...
On a related note, I am torn as to whether to take Beginning Arabic Reading this quarter or a class on spirituality from a professor I really like. The spirituality class would probably be more useful, but the Arabic Reading class sounds like so much more fun.
Also, thanks for the Havel recommendation! Can't wait to check him out. We just visited Vic Bobb (did you know of Vic Bobb? English prof at Whitworth) who said he has come to the conclusion all the real creative minds right now are in the Czech Republic. I think he meant in terms of fiction writing.
Post a Comment