Sunday, July 05, 2009

Inconsistency (nerd alert!)

I am only writing this because I know that most of you my readers have read Harry Potter and are eagerly anticipating the release of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. I'm re-reading the book in preparation and noticed an inconsistency that I wonder whether any of you can reconcile. I'll give you a moment to retrieve your copy.
Dumbledore takes Harry into the memory of Bob Ogden in the chapter "The House of Gaunt". In it Morfin is speaking parseltongue, which Harry understands but Ogden doesn't. If it is Ogden's memory then how does the memory include the Parseltongue recreated accurately enough that Harry can understand it?
It's just been bugging me today. Nerd moment managed. 10 days to showtime!

1 comment:

Alisa said...

well, my guess is that the memories from people are perfectly preserved, such as Snape's memory containing conversations that he did not hear between Padfoot and Prongs. So, even if the person missed a detail, it is more like a 3-d recorded video, can be watched over and over again, perfectly.

I just finished re-reading the series and am starting on the movies. The inconsistencies there drive me nuts! The castle changes, the whole feel for the Leaky Cauldron changes, plus all the inaccuracies! Still, I love them and will go see the new one the day it comes out... :)