Friday, June 20, 2008

Off Days

All these years as a student I never knew what I was missing: Days Off!!! Now that I have designated on and off time, I'm making the most of the off.
Last Saturday I trotted off to North-West Jersey to go hiking. I left a note for the Fam saying where I was going and if I wasn't back by 6 to send a search party, since I was going alone and likely to be without cell reception. Turns out such warning was not really necessary, since a "hike" in New Jersey is a pleasant stroll through the woods in Colorado. I think the elevation gain was something like 500ft. But I saw a bear on the road, and a beautiful view from the top of the fire lookout tower I climbed. Rattlesnake Swamp Trail was much prettier than the name suggests, and my only complaint (other than New Jersey not being Colorado) is that there are a lot more bugs here.
Today I had the day off to replace my usual Saturday off, since they need me to watch the kidlets tomorrow down the Shore. So I a woke up early and set off for NYC. I walked to The Strand, from whence I emerged with 7 books and a new tote bag. I meandered through the Green Market at Union Square. I got a variety of yummy salads at Whole Foods and ate lunch on a bench outside. I went to the Ukrainian Museum (so wierd to see my namesake city and clan on so many maps and placards!). Then I made my way back to the house where I am now going to do laundry, make some dinner, and watch a movie in the home theater.
Rough life.

4 comments:

Virgie said...

Wait, wait--your name is *Ukrainian*? Awesome!

I think the city could only be called your namesake if it was named after you. If it were the other way round, it would be your "eponymic" city. But perhaps there isn't actually an appropriate word for this situation ...

In case you were wondering why I know the word "eponym," it's not because I have a huge vocabulary. I learned it for the very specific purpose of referring to the poet Virgil, whose namesake I be.

Hooray for days off!

Alisa said...

Finally being able to catch up on my blog reading -- it is fun hearing you go through what I go through (of course, I've had a warm up time of three years, where you have just been tossed into it). Can't wait to hear more (maybe future posts will deal with the magical healing properties of band-aids and the calming affects of bribery).
Alisa

Jenevieve said...

Yay, time off! And NYC!

Man, I miss you.

jennifer said...

Hey Miranda! Sounds like you had lots of fun on your adventures! I am with Alisa, it's fun to read your experiences because I guarantee we have also been there before!!