Today's afternoon nap was sandwiched by the 3 1/2 year old boy (henceforth "N", for privacy) freaking out a lot, running around the house screaming, refusing to do pretty much anything. I don't want to chase him and make him think it's a fun game, and couldn't anyway with the 7month old girl (henceforth "B") on my hip. I've seen him do this a number of times with his parents and this was my initiation. In a few weeks maybe I'll know whether this is just acting out over a rough transition between nannies, or testing me, or just a broader behavior issue, and probably some combination of the above. To make matters more interesting every time he freaked out today I couldn't really discipline him effectively with time out because the first was right before nap, the second was as we were rushing out the door to swim lessons, and the final his dad took over and I was relieved.
But nap time . . . It was short today, but I had an amazing and quiet lunch. I made myself a salad of baby spinach, grilled chicken, cucumber, pear, romano cheese, and pomegranate vinaigrette. Ahhhhh.
Tomorrow N has a class field trip to an amusement park, so his mom is going with him and I'm staying home with B. She's mostly pretty easy and happy, but she's definitely having some separation anxiety.
Mad props to Alisa, Jennifer, and all you other moms who spend your days (and nights, and every moment) with an infant and a toddler and still manage to be delightful and mostly sane people.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
you're a nanny!! :D
sounds like a handful...!!
p.s. got your message - we should chat soon! I'll try to call you this week. :)
Post a Comment