Sunday, February 11, 2007

Still here

I'd like to be able to say my fortnight's foray into the world of oblivion was filled with fascinating things to keep me busy and away from blogging. The reality is that I've been working a whole lot and going to classes.
I have to plan the spring retreat for my field ed church. This is not an especially daunting task, except that the theme is something along the lines of a spiritual spa. Now those who know me know my propensity toward ascetisicm (if not in reality than at least ideally), so my inclination was to do something on spiritual disciplines, kind of a weekend as a monk/nun thing. It probably comes as less of a surprise to you than it did to me that being a Religious for a weekend is not that appealing to the common church-goer. Hence, the theme of spiritual spa. I figured I could spin that so it sounds like a rejuvenating self-care weekend, then come out of left field with the idea that there's no place for self-indulgence in the Christian life (self-care is necessary and good in as much as it prepares us to live lives worthy of our calling in the world) and it's really all about God and not about us at all. It doesn't sound like that's the direction the Adult Education chair would have it go. We haven't done much in the way of planning, so I still have time to work with my supervisor and get the direction headed where I think it's more appropriate to go (i.e. toward God, not toward ourselves). I said something at our last meeting about having a flow of the weekend that goes from interiority, to focus on God, to being sent out into the world, and latter two seem to be very clearly lower on the hierarchy of importance. Thoughts on how to extricate the self-indulgent form of self-care from the spiritual spa weekend?

p.s. This is petty, I know, but the confusion of e.g. and i.e. is a pet peeve of mine. So for the greater good of all, here's the deal. E.g. stands for exempli gratia, which means 'for the sake of example': (She likes fruit, e.g. strawberries). I.e. stands for id est, which means 'that is': ((I can read Greek, i.e. Koine Greek).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, along the idea of spiritual indulgence, if you just can't find anything, Group publishing has a chocolate-themed retreat pack you can get at Christian bookstores. We'll withhold judgment thereof.

Jenevieve said...

Thanks for the e..g. vs. i.e. rant. I know the difference in theory, but I do get more than a little lazy in the practice thereof.