Saturday, July 03, 2010

Lesson Planning

I am loving me some lesson plans. Don't ask why, but I'm managed to organize my course around Edgar Allan Poe. Not my favorite author. Haven't read him since early in high school. But I'll teach Tell-Tale Heart, Masque of the Red Death, and The Raven. I'll also be teaching the class how to write a 5 paragraph essay, reaching way back to my 8th grade days at D'Evelyn. Good thing I still basically write the way Miss Meyer taught me back then. I've spent the day in my office and in my room writing my lesson plan, writing a pre-test, formatting reading assignments, working through the text book for activities to use, putting together power point, drinking instant coffee, and basically being happy as a clam. I got my (somewhat tentative) class list today and tried to figure out ethnicities based on last name. The majority are Lithuanian, but there are also at least one Latvian and a few Polish and Russian. The first names are not to daunting on the pronunciation front, but the surnames will take some work. All told I'm excited to get started on this crazy teaching train.
Now I'm off to a free brass ensemble concert in the park. I'm not all that excited about the brass ensemble part, but an evening in the park sounds lovely.

2 comments:

Matt said...

Little known fact about Matt: I love nothing more than a really good brass ensemble.

Miranda said...

you would have been disappointed . . . ;/