Sunday, June 13, 2010

All Grown Up



I recently returned from Baby Tour 2010, a whirlwind romp through Washington to visit dear friends from Whitworth and even a few from PTS, several of whom have gotten married, had babies, or started new jobs since I saw them last. I have heard tell of what a tricky time this can be for friendships. Many of us are at different places in life than we were when we graduated from college. We have scattered geographically and in life seasons: new coasts and countries, spouses, new and continued singleness, babies, careers, etc. With all that has changed, how do our friendships remain the same? Well, they don't. We change and grow, and it takes more effort (and more frequent flier miles) to nurture our relationships. We have felt the distance, the challenges of time zone calculation, the full days of work that leave us too tired to call, and the surprising amount of time child-rearing actually requires even when the babies spend most of their time sleeping. My joy in Washington was to rediscover old friends made new by growth and maturity, marriage, parenthood, labors of love and tedium, independence, occasional loneliness, the influence of new communities, and the sanctifying work of the Holy Spirit. When I spent time with Fishy, Shelly, Anna, Mel, and Mary it was different on the surface, but still deepened by the years we shared in such close proximity. But we didn't just reminisce, we made new memories. I look forward to having these friends in my life in years to come not because of what they once were to me, but because of what they still are, and what we have yet to become together.

1 comment:

Jenevieve said...

You are so cool. I love how articulate you are, and how willing to hop on a plane and visit the people you love! If you need a trip to Cali next year, our flat is always open to you. :)

p.s. H just saw this post and said "Auntie Miranda has two babies!"