Friday, August 29, 2008

"Welcome to Baby Hell"

That's what the dad of the Fam told me last night at dinner. We're at the shore this week (hence the lack of posting), and last night we went to dinner with a family who are long-time friends of the Fam. They have two girls, ages 6 and 4. So all nine of us were at this restaurant. It was small and crazy loud and crowded, and of course the kids were restless and also loud and fighting over the toys. Then it all started to tumble down around us. The younger daughter of the other family had a complete melt-down. The family decided to leave, it was so bad. At this point we had been at the restaurant almost an hour and still didn't have our food, so the poor mom had to wait another 5-10 minutes for her now to-go food to come out so she could go home. Then we had to wait another 15ish minutes after that for our food, both kids getting increasingly restless as bed time rapidly approached. All told, N and B did pretty well. There was copious peek-a-booing and on-the-spot game invention with objects on our table. In the end we finally got food, which was good but soooo not worth it. I was not technically working, so it wasn't really that stressful for me, I just felt bad for all the other adults (and the kids for that matter). And that, my friends, is another reason I will not be having kids of my own for a VERY long time.

The real excitement in life is that I fly to Spokane tomorrow for Anna's Tuesday evening wedding. I get to see friends, eat at Thai Bamboo and Tomato Street (I hope), see a dear friend get hitched, perhaps rig up a hammock with Claire in the Loop during Frosh arrival just for grins, and remember that New Jersey is just a temporary stop over on a long awaited return to the West.

4 comments:

Alisa said...

UGH! That sounded awful! Must say, haven't really ever had an experience like that.... but then, we never take our girls anywhere nice enough that would require that long of a wait. Our rule of thumb: if it has table linens, no go with kids. Of course, sometimes meals at home can be just as rough... like when Hannah manages to spill her milk and sit on her plate (don't ask!) in the matter of minutes...

Jenevieve said...

I think we're pretty lucky, since HP's usually pretty good while we're out. Though he'll probably be worse as he gets older...

so, so jealous about Spokane! Can you give Mary a hug if you see her?

jennifer said...

I have been going back and reading of all your adventures Miranda! Sounds like you have learned a lot about being a parent...good and bad! That should help in a few years right?? Have fun in Spokane. Will you see the Linds?

Anonymous said...

yep. and that's why we have a cat.

have fun in Spokane!!