On Saturday night Shelly and her roommate and I watched Legends of the Fall. Jacy had been inspired to watch after having read Wild at Heart by John Eldridge. I haven't read it, but apparently Eldridge references the movie as part of his argument about what a real man is. I don't know whether he was holding of the middle brother in the movie, Tristan, played by Brad Pitt, as an example of manhood to be aspired to or an example of masculinity run amock. I hope the latter, because if there is anything about that character that is supposed to be emulated by Christian men, then I have sorely misunderstood masculinity in a Christian re-framing. Granted, Tristan is dead sexy, but that's all the good that I can come up with about him. He cheats on his would-be fiance after leaving her to pursue a completely self-centered quest for psychological purging, goes on vengeful rampages, and is generally out of control. He is indeed Wild at Heart, and if that's what men are supposed to be then God save us all!
To make ourselves feel better, we watched Pride and Prejudice last night. Ah, Darcy, how we swoon for thee.
We also watched an episode of Beauty and the Beast, an old '80s TV show about "the adventures and romance between Vincent, a mythic, noble man-beast, and Catherine, a savvy assistant D.A. in New York." Everyone else seems to find the show incredibly sappy, and it is. But I still like it enough to own it on DVD.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Sounds like good times.
Post a Comment