Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Now that I have your attention

Remember that clapping thing teachers do to get kids' attention? Clap, clap, clapclapclap. Then the kids are all immediately silent and respond, as if by instinct, clap, clap, clap. Well in Seminary we have a grown up and theologized version of the the same thing.
This morning in chapel the "quiet please" sign was in the entry way. I think technically we are supposed to be quiet in the chapel before the service starts everyday, but most people ignore that and chat with the person next to them and greet friends. Apparently today the powers that be really wanted us to be quiet. But we are in church and you can't just yell at everyone to be quiet. So you get people to shush in a no less direct but very churchy way.
"The Lord be with you" says the liturgist (or in this case the chapel worker).
"and also with you" the congregation (Seminarians) reply, as if by instinct. It's like our ears are specially trained to hear this phrase and respond in turn. Even if the person who says it isn't speaking much louder than the din in the room, we all snap to attention (well, turn to face the front anyway) and reply in perfect unison without missing a beat. Everyone is quiet and attentive.
Normally this phrase is followed by "Let us pray." Today the chapel worker said "Let us prepare for worship in silence." What a very tactful and church-appropriate way to tell us to shush. Give it a try next time you need to pray in a large group in which people are still talking. It's a lot less awkward than being that person who is having a loud conversation then suddenly realizes they are the only one in room who's talking and everyone else has their heads bowed.

Us PTS folk are like well-oiled liturgy machines :) Some people don't like the roteness of that high liturgical tradition where everyone knows what to say and when, but I like it. It becomes part of your spirituality and the way you think when it's that deeply engrained. For example, the congregational responsed of the traditional Eucharist liturgy
L: . . . as we proclaim the mystery of the faith:
P: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.
and
L: . . . as we join the heavenly chorus:
P: Holy, Holy, Holy Lord
God of power and might.
Heaven and earth are full of your glory.
Hosanna in the highest.
Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.
Hosanna in the highest.
What can I say, I'm a closet Catholic ;)

2 comments:

Mariquita said...

You're bringing me back to my Catholic roots. I like a good high church service every once in a while. There's a reverence and changelessness that I can't find anywhere else. But for me, it's all about a balance: if I only do mass, it's easy to forget why I'm there. Ditto for low church.

Hope you're doing great, m

Jenevieve said...

I miss you! At the Free Church we've been attending, there is certainly some liturgy, but it feels less meaningful than that of which you speak here. I don't know exactly why, because I usually like it, too. Hmm..